Truffles anyone?

I have always loved mushrooms but truffles, mama-mia! Small precious little nuggets that cost way too much but are so delicate and elegant tasting. I had such a fun time when I went truffle hunting with Mr. Paolo Cerruti, a 'trifule' (truffle-hunter) and his dog Toby in the Langhe forest, in a small town called Monta, about 30 minutes north of Alba. I was in Alba for the 88th Annual Truffle Festival and all the trifules sell their finds from the night before.  The truffles found in Alba are called 'Magnatum Tuber', commonly called 'Italian Whites' and in 2007, it was a pretty scarce year and cost about USD 5000 per pound.  Mr Paolo, my trifule had gone truffle hunting with Wolfgang Puck just the week before and recently received a called from Luca di Montezemolo, Chairman of Ferrari to send his biggest truffles to the Indian Prime Minister's wife! Boy, I guess I'm the smallest 'fry' he's ever been truffle hunting with. 

Popular Posts