Extraordinary Seafood and Citrus in the Amalfi


I have always been fascinated by the lemons in Sorrento and vow to grow a lemon tree successfully in my backyard in foggy San Francisco. On the island of Capri, I had the most amazing Lemon Risotto, in a quaint restaurant overlooking the cliffs called 'Terrazza Brunella' - creamy, good hint of lemon taste and of course a good handful of parmegiano.  Along the Amalfi coast, seafood is abundant and fresh. In Sorrento, we patronized a restaurant called Vela Bianca, two nights in a row. Guess you can never get enough of a good thing. They serve an amazing Pesce Fresco del Tirreno al Sale (Fresh fish of the day baked in salt).  The fish was fresh but amazingly sweet tasting and not overly salty. It was interesting to see the waiter crack the salt crust, carrying a certain rhythm. He knows people are watching. I've always been skeptical about foods baked in salt - be it chicken, fish or beets. Now I've been proven wrong and I'm very pleased about that!

Popular Posts