French Rolls and not Tortilla chips in Mexico City

Most of my mexican cuisine experience has been in the U.S., in California mainly (yes...I'm working hard to correct that) and that's why a trip to Mexico City; largely influenced by watching Rick Bayless devour wonderful morsels of street food as well as fine dining in the Distrito Federal. What surprised me most of all is that the restaurants I visited over the next few days in DF don't serve tortilla chips in a basket but rather french rolls with butter. 

My first stop is a wonderful small restaurant in the Condessa neighborhood called Blue Condessa. The Cochinita Pibil (below, a specialty of the Yucatan) is to die for.


And the Negro Chicken Mole (below, a speciality of Oaxaca) below is exceptional as well.

The other surprise for me is that Margaritas are not that popular in Mexico City. We were the only ones who ordered Margaritas in Blue Condessa. Most people were having wines with their food. Not surprisingly, the Margaritas are not that good here.  In Mexico, tequila is more typically consumed all on its own, often in a snifter and savored like a good single malt scotch would be.

Popular Posts