Sampling Umbrian Specialties in Assisi

Going to Umbria, my two must-eats were Porchetta (Roast Pork) and Tartufo Nero (black truffles which are in season in the Fall). Having had white truffles and gone truffle hunting in Alba 3 years ago, I very badly wanted to try the black ones from Umbria, which I’ve heard and read so much about. I’ve had tartufo nero twice so far – once on tortellini and another on smoked scamozza. It is good…very, very good, and the aroma lingers on well after the dish has been eaten. I also had Porchetta (see picture), in a very pleasant restaurant in Assisi called Ristorante Minerva on Piazzetta R Bonghi 7. My partner had Gnocchi, with gorgonzola sauce and hazelnuts. Really delicious too!

I was pleasantly surprised by the town of Assisi. I thought its fame came solely from the name of St. Francis and was expecting a small old town, with a chapel dedicated to him. Well, it is true that many people come here to visit and pray in this church but the town is a really beautiful town. All the buildings were constructed of a pink and light cream colored stone found nearby. The Church of St. Francesco is huge, with two levels of basilica and beautiful frescoes by Giotto. There was a Franciscan friar leading a tour group of kids from high school. He was tall and very good looking, with a two day old beard. I tried to mingle in the crowd but being Chinese and probably three times the age of these kids, I definitely stuck out like a sore thumb. I stole a few glances at him and drew the conclusion that there are indeed many good-looking men in Italy, in all ‘trades’.

On the way from St. Francesco to the resident church of Assisi, the Church of St. Lorenzo, I stopped by at this wonderful pastry shop – La Bottega del Pasticcere. Its beautiful pastry display on the window is just too tempting to pass by.

Popular Posts