Three Line Grunt, anybody?

I was quite blown away when I visited Sushi 69, a small sushi restaurant tucked in a small street in the quaint town of San Anselmo. On their special menu of the day, they were offering a selection of ‘Wild Fish from Japan’ – Threadfin Bream, King Mackeral (Aji), Seabass (Suzuki), Flying Fish and Three Line Grunt (Isaki). I’ve had sushi at many places including Tokyo and Osaka but I have never had Three Line Grunt. That was my favorite sashimi among the 5 wild fishes from Japan. The taste is quite similar to Tai (snapper), with a delicate sweetness and the right amount of ‘chewiness’ and light briny taste of the ocean.

We ordered a roll - Takeshi, which was absolutely fabulous as well - spicy scallops, tempura, avocado and topped with tuna. Yes, you have guessed it, Takeshi is the name of one of the sushi chefs there. I must say this place can definitely hold a candle to Sushi Ran – one of the most highly rated sushi restaurants in Marin.

Popular Posts