Brilliant idea to help Panhandlers

I keep cereal bars in my car. Yes, it's helpful for a quick snack, especially on long road trips. But more importantly, I keep cereal bars in the side door pocket because I hand them out to panhandlers -- panhandlers who station themselves near traffic lights or road junctions, holding cardboard signs that beg from commuters who might stop, read what's written and roll down the car window to give them something. Last year I witnessed a driver give a cereal bar to a panhandler and I thought to myself what a brilliant idea that was. A cereal bar is relatively inexpensive, it doesn't go bad (for quite a while) and giving food instead of money reduces any concern that one might have that they will use the money to buy alcohol or drugs. I have been practicing that 'brilliant idea' since then. I don't know how many people will see this blog but I hope that this idea will be passed to many others.

By the way, my favorite cereal bar is Kashi Roasted Almond Crunch.

Popular Posts