Oysters many ways in Sydney

I first visited Australia when I was in my early twenties. Alright, I do admit that’s quite some years ago. Australia is the closest ‘Western’ country in Asia, and hence enjoys enormous tourism, many students and even immigration from other Asian countries. My sister in fact, immigrated to Perth. I was completely blown away by my first visit to Sydney, what a beautiful city! I remember staying in a hotel that has an amazing panoramic view of the famous ‘trio’ - Sydney Bridge, Sydney Harbor and the Opera house. There was plenty of fresh seafood (including an Australian indigenous crayfish called yabby), beautiful pastries displayed in glass windows and exquisite opal jewelry. In one of the restaurants in the harbor area, I was presented a choice of how I would like my oysters – Raw, Mornay (grilled with bechamel sauce), Kilpatrick (grilled with bacon bits), Barbecued.  Wow! I took my time over that entire trip and eventually tried all of them. My favorite is still au natural – raw with a light squeeze of lemon. Now, more than 15 years later, my favorite is still raw oyster on the shell. I have even tried my hands at shucking oysters at Hog Island Oysters shack in Point Reyes, California.  My current favorite is Kumamoto oysters, which are very sweet and creamy and have an elegant, delicate taste.

Popular Posts