Italian Desserts in the Desert


I’ve never seen so many golf courses in my life until I traveled to Palm Springs, with its neighboring cities of Rancho Mirage and Palm Dessert. Not being a golfer myself, I didn’t know that Palm Springs has more golf courses per capita than any other city in the U.S. and hosts numerous world class tennis tournaments as well.  I was surprised to see vacation companies camping out near the baggage area at the airport. Imagine a city concierge right at the airport itself! Well, they are very helpful with city maps, places to eat and of course, oh so willing to offer a free dinner for two if you spend 90 minutes listening to their ‘presentation’, no obligations, of course!

A nice restaurant I recommend in Palm Desert is Mamma Gina along El Paseo, known as the ‘Rodeo Drive of Palm Desert’. The Ravioli neri all’aragosta (Squid Ink Ravioli with Ricotta & Lobster) is absolutely heavenly! Squid ink pasta is black, looks somewhat gooey and perhaps unappetizing. But the reality is that it’s really quite delicious, with a hint of ocean flavor. Mamma Gina also has excellent desserts, served from a pushcart. The crème brulée is delicate and velvety with a light browned top, a nice variation of the usual crunchy and scorched crust you find in other crème brulées. The tiramisu is excellent as well.

P/s: The photo shows me enjoying breakfast at Desert Willow Golf Course, a beautiful 18-hole PUBLIC golf course.

Popular Posts