Greek salad on a Greek island, Santorini


My most vivid memory of Santorini, I have to admit, is about a Greek man with dark hair wearing a leather jacket on a motorcycle offering me a ride to the main ‘city center’ of Santorini. I swear he is the most good looking man I’ve ever seen in my life!! Till this day, I still regret not taking up that offer. Oh, well…...but that aside and now onto food, why is the greek salad so damn tasty here? The ingredients are the same – feta cheese, tomato, cucumbers, onions, some olive oil and white vinegar.  One difference I’ve noticed is the addition of dried oregano, sprinkled on the feta cheese pieces which adds tremendous flavor to the whole salad. Perhaps it’s the sun-ripened tomatoes, perhaps it’s the feta cheese, since the best feta cheese is from Greece or perhaps it's their olive oil, which is really high quality. Or perhaps it’s just the beautiful island itself, the blue waters, the rugged cliffs, the white-washed houses. Or perhaps or most probably, it’s my head still spinning with the encounter with my dark, greek hero…my prince charming on a modern ‘horse’.:-)

Popular Posts