It’s my 3rd time in Piemonte and I’m still discovering

I consider myself very lucky to have been to this part of Italy, not once but thrice so far.  Mostly, I was lured by the white truffles in Alba and the big reds from Barolo and Barbaresco.  I know for sure this won’t be my last. On this trip, I tasted Vitello Tonnato, bicerin and discovered a rooftop restaurant that serves the best carbonara pasta, and a wonderful mercato in addition to my favorite Eataly.  And I was once again awed by the beautiful landscape of the snow-covered Alps that can be seen from so many corners in Torino, not to mention spectacular views from the roads that bend through the hills.

Vitello Tonnato – veal in tuna caper sauce. I’ve known this to be a Piemontese speciality but have always thought that it was odd to mix meat and fish and then eat it cold. I stand corrected. The lean tender veal, eaten with a dollop of the briny creamy sauce is a match made in heaven. I made a mental note to myself to seek out a good recipe when I get home.

Vitello Tonnato in a ristorante in Alba
Bicerin – a drink made with espresso, drinking chocolate, and milk served layered in a small glass. We had it as a dessert in the Mercato Centrale in Torino, drinking it at the bar and hoping to come across as a local, even though I'm a yellow-skinned Asian! We were pleasant surprised to find the sheer number of stalls and quality of food served at the Mercato Centrale. Will come back again.

Biceri
Last but not least, a beautifully decadent carbonara pasta at Piano35 where we had our Cena di San Silvestro (New Year’s eve dinner). The standout in the menu was the carbonara pasta, with hard-to-achieve al-dente fresh pasta topped with crisp speck and an eggshell on the side filled with a creamy sauce. The final combination was rich with crispy bites and such an amazing mouth feel that I know that it would be hard to eat carbonara pasta anywhere else again. We were told by the server that this was Chef Marco Sacco’s specialty dish from this 2-michelin starred restaurant Piccolo Lago. Now, I understand why it’s so good!

Carbonara pasta - speck atop with eggshell sauce

Carbonara pasta - heavenly mix

View of the Alps from Vergne, in the municipality of Barolo

Popular Posts