The famous 'Chou Tofu' in China


When I was young, I loved to watch chinese kung fu movies (I still do actually) and one of the foods that I see very often savored by these sword-fighting, drunken fist, snake claw masters is 'Chou Tofu' - smelly tofu or smelly beancurd. I've always wondered what Chou Tofu tastes like. Yes I do love tofu but I wasn't sure what smelly really means and how smelly it is. Well, I finally got my chance when I visited Shanghai in January 2008. The smelliness really comes from the sauce, which is fermented beans, perhaps with some small fermented fishes as well. The tofu itself is quite normal - deep fried square pieces of white tofu. Maybe this is the modern contemporary version of Chou Tofu. Hence I wouldn't vouch for its authenticity, until I try it again, perhaps this time in the rural villages of China.

Popular Posts